About Me

My photo
Gurgaon, Haryana, India
I look at life with detachment and distance, like a window shopper. Not only I study the window but also my own reflections in it.

I Bow My Head To The Silent Dead

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 3 comments

My job has taken me to every part of India. I am fascinated by British cemeteries. The epitaphs on the graves,
are sometimes terse/ sometimes in verse,
but have solemnity/ and enough gravity,
I bow my head/ to the silent dead!

These show a pathetic side of the story. How many British mothers/wives lost their sons/husbands, in a land thousands of miles over oceans - in inhospitable weather, hated and unloved by locals - among whom they died. More white-men died due to disease - dysentery, cholera, malaria and heat-stroke than fighting. How many men wasted their lives away from families. In terms of human price paid, it was colossus. If employed in Industry - these very men would have given Britain well - earned honest wealth - much more than the illgotten wealth through plunder and undisguised Robbery of a defenceless people. And imagine the full life these men would have lived among their families.
My school was in an erstwhile castle (Ludlow Castle)of the British, in Delhi. It bore the brunt of attack from the natives, during the first independence war of 1857. My favourite perch, for eating my lunch, was a memorial over a solitary grave in our football field. Whenever they dug grounds in school for construction, human bones still turnedup in 1950s.
Oppressions is a double edged sword. It cuts both the oppressors and the oppressed. In terms of human lives the oppressors suffers as much as those they oppress. Britain's colonisation of India and other nations also was a similar story.
India was kept enslaved as a colony for over two hundred years - really a long time. From a Modern point of view, it appears uncivilised and downright barbaric, to treat another nation and its people like this. It was purely for commercial reasons - howsoever disguised, behind high-sounding cliches of whiteman's burden.
But if I keep aside my negative feelings, and look with compassion, at the British people who ruled in India. They unwittingly suffered a lot.
Who suffered more the oppressor, or the oppressed? Clearly the oppressed suffered much more. But Britishers didn't go Scot-free.
Do I fulfill a psychological need by wandering through these cemeteries? Is it a purging of congealed disgust against the British Rule - a sort of gotcha?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments: to “ I Bow My Head To The Silent Dead so far...

  • LS 29/8/09 12:58 PM
     

    Hello Sir,
    I was a bit surprised after reading your article. I am also alumni of Ludlow Castle, Nr-2 and all I know is that there are graves (in fact a formal Christian cemetery) but that is on one corner of the road opposite ISBT.
    Is it that the main school building site was also built digging graves and today only a part of those graves are present as the cemeteries opposite ISBT?????
    Or
    Is it that the school campus is much bigger then what it is in 90s and the football ground you mentioned actually extends upto these graves opposite ISBT with actual school building being far away from these graves????

    You might find these Qs stupid but they are born out of sheer curiosity.

    Thanks and Regards,
    LS

  • Girish Bhatnagar 31/8/09 12:27 PM
     

    Dear LS
    Thanks for visiting this site.
    The campus of Ludlow Castle was very big, out of which new schools have been carved out. Upto 1966 there was only one school in full campus. The No:1 building was under construction when I passed out in 1966. This building was in the south coener of a large Football Field. The graves and memorial I mentioned in this podt was just near to where this building came up near its roadside end.
    The cemetry you are mentioning is a full cemetry where we used to sneak in to roam about. In this blogI have written a poem based on such visits. Please see the "Poetry" Label.

  • LS 5/9/09 11:32 PM
     

    Hello Sir,
    Thanks for the detailed reply.
    It was indeed informative and has infact calm my curiosity for the time being( I may still come up with some more Qs after.... may be reading your Poetry/blog).

    Regards,
    LS

Post a Comment